“Who are you all ready?”
We’re kicking off September with our branding theme, today specifically is all about personal branding!
Personal branding is about being seen consistently on social, being memorable and standing out.
My guest this week is Christine Gritmon. Christine empowers small business owners to tell their own stories online.
At first, that was all about teaching and training them on how to use social media strategically, easily and simply.
But Christine is now more focused on personal branding because that is truly where the story begins.
So what is personal branding and why is it so important?
Christine says it is ultimately what people think of when they think of you.
“Every person on earth has some kernels, to some degree, of what could become a personal brand.”
Like for Christine, the color red is very much a part of her personal brand. People associate the color red with Christine.
A personal brand is all about familiarity and something you can maintain. It has to be genuine, something that is legitimately within you. Make it yours and share it!
Christine says it doesn’t have to be complicated, and it shouldn’t be about an image you are projecting that isn’t you. Ask yourself:
Who are you all ready?
What can you amp up by sharing it more?
It’s about making an emotional and human connection with your people. To leave an imprint on the people that dig what you are about!
One of the big things Christine emphasizes in her work is building trust with your personal brand. For this, Christine pulls from Bob Burg, who said, “All things being equal, people do business with and refer business to people they know, like and trust.
Know – Are you recognizable? What’s memorable about you? What do people associate with you?
Like – This is putting your personality out there and connecting on a human level. You don’t have to connect with everybody. You just want to vibe with the right people for you.
Trust – People feel like they are connecting with a human as opposed to a brand with an agenda.
“The more human, real and consistent you can be in your personal branding and how you show up, the more people are going to trust that it’s legit.”
Trust also happens when you are providing value to the people you are connecting to.
“The more you show up in a generous way – you bring value to people – the more people are going to trust you as an expert.”
Christine says this is especially true if the value you put out benefitted others in some way. People trusted you, and it worked out for them.
After all of that amazingness, Christine shared 3 tips to start or refresh your personal brand:
1. Integrate your face into your personal brand. Get over feeling weird about yourself in pictures! Show your face!
2. Don’t get so hung up on what you think people want you to be or what you think you should be. What makes you different, unique, real is what makes you stand out and resonate with the right people.
3. Speak out and promote more than feels natural. People get concerned about posting too much about themselves. Don’t forget about algorithms! No one is seeing EVERYTHING you do. NOBODY!
With that, Christine left us with a challenge for the week:
1. Post a pic or video of yourself
2. Share something that’s not cookie-cutter about you. A quirk. A vulnerability. Something people might not know.
3. Step up your posting! If you posted 2x last week, post 4x this week. Push it a little more and see what it does for your reach, your engagement and your connections.
I don’t know about you, but I’m so excited to explore my personal brand!
Also, if you are a coach looking for a little more marketing support, come join my private Facebook group, the Consistent Content Club!
And stay tuned! Next week is even more great branding goodness! Can’t wait!
If you want to talk more about personal branding or if you just need some positivity right now, let’s set up a time to chat!